Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Home




I arrived back in OH late, late Sun. eve. thanks to USAir. They got me into Pliladelphia just as my connecting flight was to leave so I had to book the next Dayton flight-leaving 3 1/2 hrs. later, then got diverted to Col. for almost 2 hrs. due to weather. We lost the first night of our cabin because of it all but, it was good to be back with Tom.
We headed to the cabin Mon. morn.-very nice drive and a pretty area-Hocking Hills. We had a very nice get-away and took our time coming home. We stopped in old Dublin for a starbucks and found a specialty childrens shop. Papaw bought his new grand-daughter her first gift from him! Hannah doesn't know what it is as of this posting so-----
I"m very glad I was able to be with Hannah for the labor and birth of Chastity. She did a fantastic job! We are so proud of her and her choice to stay "drug free" has paid off. Chastity is so very alert- has been from the get-go. She holds her head up, turns to sound, actually appears to focus on you when you speak to her, coos at you and is just very responsive. I actually got her first smile Sun. eve. Since then she's smiled in response as well as the involuntary stuff. Of course, we think she's a doll baby.
Hannah labored hard but, did a great job. It took all 3 of us-Andy, Courtney and I to help her through it but, it was a great experience. At one point they thought she may have ruptured so the pit was shut off- she was fine and thankfully- the pit was not restarted- that is until the Dr. thought the contractions were not coming soon enough during delivery! No rest in between? isn't that soon enough??? My rant- birth has been turned into a medical procedure and it's not that at all- you're not sick-you're pregnant!!!
Anyhow- Hannah and Baby are doing well, nursing is going great and Andy is already wrapped around her finger by his own confession! He so thought she was a boy so it was a bit of a surprise but, he loves her dearly. I think he'll be a great Daddy.

2 comments:

Greg & Stephanie said...

You sound as proud as any new grandma! Congratulations! I am glad though that we can disagree agreeably...having 4 c-sections was a medical necessity for me, and my newborns definitely had traces of pitocin, morphine, vikadin, and whatever else entered my veins. They also held their heads on their own within hours after birth, and were as cute, charming, and smart as can be! If someone chooses meds their baby is not going to be "damaged goods" and they are no less a loving mother. Carrying and delivering a child is a huge risk all of its own, and anyone who pulls it off should be applauded! Most of the mothers in my mother's generation faced childbirth without their mothers by their side...I think that was pretty awesome. Just hubby and wife and a doctor and nurse here and there...and within a few hours they were three. But hey, that's my opinion, and we all know everyone has one! :)
Glad you guys had a good time in Hocking Hills. Living here all this time, I've never been there. Would love to sometime!

Anonymous said...

Amen to what Stephanie said. My own children were also holding their heads up and very alert within hours of birth, and yes, I had pain meds. If you have the option of pain relief and are very stressed-besides being in pain-the pain meds can relax you enough to allow you to settle and rest. There is no damage to a newborn baby if you decide to use pain meds, and you are definetely not a better mother for not using them! It's not how you deliver them-it's how you raise them!